Awesome Bank Accounts for Global Freelancers
The landscape of banking has undergone a remarkable transformation in recent years, with a massive surge in online banking solutions from digital banks. These are typically structured as private entities and are often licensed as Electronic Money Institutions.
But what makes these digital banks so among freelancers and world travellers? To answer this question, below I have highlighted 5 of the best freelance bank accounts currently available, alongside their respective benefits.
What should become clear is that getting a digital bank as a freelancer offers more than merely gaining a low-cost business account – it presents clear and unmissable opportunities for anyone operating on a global scale.
5 Best Freelance Bank Accounts:
Wise offers an online platform enabling international money transfers, receiving payments in various currencies, and international spending via their debit Mastercard.
I personally use Wise for my e-commerce businesses as I particularly like that it seamlessly facilitates the receipt of money from Stripe.
Plus, with Wise, you get personal account numbers and bank details, which you can share with your customers in order to receive funds from around the world.
If you’re a global freelancer like me, Wise is by far one of the best freelance bank accounts for several reasons:
- Local Bank Account Details: Wise provides local bank account details for various countries, including the USA, India, China, the United Kingdom, and others. This allows freelancers to receive payments as if they had a local bank account in those respective countries, making it easier for clients to pay them.
- Cost-Effective Currency Conversion: Wise offers highly competitive exchange rates and transparent fees for currency conversion. Freelancers who work with international clients can save significantly on conversion fees, ensuring they receive more of their hard-earned money.
- Multi-Currency Accounts: Wise provides multi-currency accounts that allow freelancers to hold and manage funds in different currencies. This feature is particularly beneficial for freelancers who work with clients worldwide and need to receive payments in various currencies.
- Borderless Account: Wise offers a borderless account that enables freelancers to receive payments from different countries without the need for local bank accounts. This simplifies the payment process, reduces transaction costs, and enhances convenience. Have I convinced you yet that Wise is seriously one of the best freelancer bank accounts currently available!
- Debit Card Access: Wise offers a debit card that is linked to the borderless account, allowing freelancers to access their funds conveniently for everyday expenses or online purchases.
- Integration with Freelance Platforms: Wise integrates seamlessly with popular freelance platforms, enabling freelancers to receive payments directly into their Wise accounts. This streamlines the payment process, eliminates unnecessary intermediaries, and reduces transaction fees.
- Transparent and Reliable Service: Wise is known for its transparent fee structure and reliable service. Freelancers can trust that their payments will be processed securely and efficiently, with clear visibility into the costs involved. Also, Wise seems to be 19 times cheaper than PayPal.
- Ease of Use: Wise offers a user-friendly interface and intuitive features, making it easy for freelancers to manage their accounts, track transactions, and initiate payments. The platform is designed with simplicity and convenience in mind.
- Extensive Global Coverage: Wise supports transactions in numerous countries and currencies, providing freelancers with a wide global coverage. This allows freelancers to work with clients from different parts of the world without worrying about payment limitations.
Sign up with my Wise link and get a free Wise card, you really don’t want to miss out on this awesome freelancer bank account!
Revolut is undoubtedly one of the best freelancer bank accounts, as it provide diverse digital banking services within a handy mobile app.
Services include international money transfers, a pre-paid debit card for withdrawals in multiple countries, a crypto-currency exchange allowing users to convert currencies into cryptocurrencies, vaults for budgeting and saving money, and mobile and overseas medical insurance.
Currently, Revolut charges no fees for the majority of its services, making it one of the most popular freelance bank accounts to have right now!
More reasons why Revolut is one of the best freelance bank accounts:
- Global Currency Accounts: Revolut offers multi-currency accounts that allow freelancers to hold and manage funds in different currencies. This is particularly beneficial for freelancers who work with international clients and need to receive payments in various currencies, avoiding costly conversion fees.
- Competitive Exchange Rates:
What truly sets Revolut apart is that it does not believe in financial borders. It provides competitive exchange rates for currency conversions, helping freelancers save money on foreign exchange transactions. The rates offered by Revolut are often more favourable than traditional banks or other payment providers.
Revolut permits you to make purchases abroad in more than 150 currencies at the interbank exchange rate, with a tiny 0.5% charge for amounts exceeding £5,000 each month, along with a fixed markup during the weekend on specific currencies.
Revolut also provides the benefit of £200 worth of complimentary international ATM withdrawals every month in 29 currencies.
- Quick and Convenient Transfers: Revolut allows for fast and convenient money transfers, both domestically and internationally. Freelancers can send and receive payments seamlessly, ensuring timely access to their earnings.
- Expense Management and Budgeting Tools: Revolut offers built-in expense management and budgeting tools, enabling freelancers to track their income, expenses, and overall financial health. This feature simplifies financial management and helps freelancers stay on top of their finances.
- Integration with Freelance Platforms: Revolut integrates with various freelance platforms, making it easy for freelancers to receive payments directly into their Revolut accounts. This streamlined process eliminates the need for additional intermediaries and reduces transaction fees.
- Security and Fraud Protection: Revolut prioritises security and provides robust measures to protect customer accounts and transactions. Advanced security features, such as two-factor authentication and transaction alerts, help safeguard freelancers’ funds.
- Business Tools and Features: Revolut offers additional business tools and features specifically tailored for freelancers, such as invoicing and payment request functionalities. These tools streamline the invoicing process and facilitate seamless communication with clients, making it one of the best freelancer bank accounts.
- Business Debit Card: Revolut provides a business debit card that freelancers can use for their business expenses. The card is linked to the Revolut account, offering convenience and flexibility for everyday spending.
- Flexible Pricing Plans: Revolut offers different pricing plans to cater to the varying needs of freelancers. Freelancers can choose the plan that aligns with their specific requirements, ensuring they have access to the features and benefits they need without unnecessary costs.
- Affordable Travel Insurance: Revolut offers travel insurance from just £1.00 per day, ensuring both you and your valued possessions are covered wherever you go.
It’s currently available in 37 countries – you can check their official list of supported countries here.
Sign up with my link and get a free Revolut card today!
PayPal is a well established platform known for its payment processing capacity. It’s widely regarded as one of the best freelance bank accounts for several reasons:
- Accessibility: PayPal is available in numerous countries and supports multiple currencies, making it accessible to freelancers worldwide. This allows freelancers to receive payments from clients across different regions without facing currency conversion hassles.
- Secure Payment Processing: PayPal is known for its robust security measures and buyer/seller protection policies. It offers secure payment processing, reducing the risk of fraud and ensuring freelancers receive their payments reliably.
- Ease of Use: Setting up a PayPal account is straightforward and requires minimal documentation. Freelancers can quickly create an account and start receiving payments from clients. The user-friendly interface and intuitive features make it easy to navigate and manage transactions.
- Integration and Compatibility: PayPal integrates seamlessly with various freelance platforms and marketplaces. Many freelance websites and clients prefer PayPal as a payment method, allowing freelancers to receive payments directly through their PayPal accounts.
- Flexibility in Withdrawals: PayPal offers various withdrawal options, such as transferring funds to a bank account or using a PayPal debit card for real-world purchases. Freelancers can choose the most convenient method to access their earnings.
- Reputation and Trust: PayPal has been a prominent player in the online payment industry for a long time (over a decade). Its established reputation and widespread acceptance make freelancers and clients trust the platform, enhancing credibility and facilitating smoother transactions.
Upon creating a PayPal account, you can do the following:
- Transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account.
- Obtain a cash advance from your credit card and deposit the corresponding amount into your PayPal account.
- Transfer money from your personal PayPal account to another member’s PayPal account.
- Transfer funds from your PayPal account to your checking or savings account.
- Request a check to be mailed to you, containing the balance of your PayPal account.
- Acquire a PayPal debit card, which can be utilised to make purchases in the physical world directly from your PayPal account.
Sign up for free with PayPal.
Stripe is PayPal’s primary rival, which functions as a payment processing service. Using it facilitates the electronic transfer of funds from a customer’s bank account to a merchant’s bank account as payment for purchases made using a credit card.
It’s possible to create multiple Stripe accounts for distinct products or businesses, with each account having its own payment records, dashboard, and authorised users.
Additionally, Stripe converts funds into the currency associated with your account when you receive payments in different currencies. You also have the ability to transfer funds from your Stripe account to your bank account.
I personally use Stripe as the payment processor for most of my businesses as it’s extremely easy to use. I’ve been able to seamlessly create invoices, generate payment links and issue refunds without any trouble at all.
Stripe is regarded as one of the best freelance bank accounts for several reasons:
- Competitive Fees: Stripe is widely recognised for its competitive fee structure, often considered favourable compared to other payment processors like its competitor PayPal.
- Seamless Integration: Stripe offers seamless integration with various freelance platforms, marketplaces, and e-commerce websites. This makes it easy for freelancers to receive payments directly into their Stripe accounts, streamlining the payment process and reducing administrative tasks.
- Global Reach: Stripe operates in numerous countries, allowing freelancers to accept payments from clients worldwide. It supports multiple currencies and provides localised payment methods, enabling freelancers to expand their client base and operate on a global scale.
- Secure Payment Processing: Stripe prioritises security and employs robust encryption measures to protect financial transactions. Freelancers and their clients can have confidence in the safety and reliability of payment processing through Stripe.
- Developer-Friendly Tools: Stripe offers a suite of developer-friendly tools and APIs, making it a popular choice for freelancers with technical expertise. These tools enable customisation, integration with custom applications, and the ability to build unique payment solutions tailored to specific business needs.
- Flexible Payout Options: Stripe provides flexible payout options, allowing freelancers to easily transfer funds from their Stripe accounts to their bank accounts. This flexibility ensures timely access to earnings and simplifies the financial management process.
- Analytics and Reporting: Stripe offers comprehensive analytics and reporting features, providing freelancers with valuable insights into their payment transactions. These insights can aid in financial planning, identifying trends, and making data-driven business decisions.
- Developer Community and Support: Stripe has an active developer community and offers robust support resources. Freelancers can access documentation, forums, and support channels to find answers to their questions and receive assistance when needed.
Sign up for free with Stripe.
Holvi is a comprehensive digital current account that provides entrepreneurs and freelancers with a range of powerful tools to effortlessly manage their businesses. Tailored specifically for this target audience, Holvi operates in Finland, Austria, and Germany, and extends its services worldwide through Estonia’s e-Residency program.
In simple terms, if you own an Estonian company, which is common among Digital Nomads, you no longer need to physically travel to Estonia to establish a traditional bank account. Instead, Holvi serves as an innovative alternative business banking solution, enabling you to efficiently manage your business’s financial transactions right from their platform. This international accessibility makes it an ideal choice for freelancers who work across borders or have an Estonian company.
Their pricing packages range from €0 to €98 per month, providing flexibility to cater to different business needs and budgets.
Holvi stands out as one of the best freelance bank accounts for several reasons:
- Tailored for Freelancers: Holvi is designed specifically with freelancers and entrepreneurs in mind. Its features and tools are geared towards meeting the unique financial needs of independent professionals, making it highly suitable for freelancers.
- Business Mastercard: Holvi provides a Business Mastercard, which offers freelancers convenient access to their funds for both online and offline transactions. This feature enables seamless purchasing and expense management, enhancing flexibility and convenience.
- Comprehensive Business Management Tools: Holvi offers a complete set of tools to streamline business management. In addition to serving as a digital current account, it provides features like invoicing, expense tracking, and bookkeeping. This integrated approach allows freelancers to efficiently handle their finances and business operations from a single platform.
- User-friendly interface: Holvi prides itself on offering a user-friendly interface that simplifies financial management for freelancers. The platform is intuitive and easy to navigate, ensuring a smooth experience while handling transactions, generating invoices, or tracking expenses.
Sign up here with Holvi.
To conclude, there are so many compelling reasons as to why global freelancers should have an account with a digital bank in 2023. Some of the key benefits highlighted in this article include everything from international accessibility and the seamless integration with freelance platforms, to efficient financial management and cost-effectiveness.
Leveraging one or more of the best freelance bank accounts mentioned above presents a golden opportunity to operate efficiently on a global scale, which is increasingly important in today’s interconnected world!
You may also like to read:
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase through any links. You may even get a small discount. This income goes towards the sites running costs and enables me to provide readers with free content.
The information provided in this article is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as financial or legal advice. The content is based on research and knowledge available up to the date of writing, and the digital banking industry is subject to continuous changes. The blog author and website disclaim any liability for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance of the information presented. Opening a digital bank account involves potential risks and considerations that readers should thoroughly evaluate based on their individual financial circumstances and needs. The blog post does not endorse any specific digital bank or financial institution and does not constitute an offer or solicitation for financial services.